The Space where Discourse, Singularity and Quality meet
Some months ago Irene and I joined the Asociación Joyas de Autor (Jewels d’Auteur Association). We took that decision because we consider that the fine jewelry pieces we create in accordance with Decimononic’s principles fit the features of identity inherent in Jewelry d’Auteur according to this non-profit organization.
Thus, a Jewel d’Auteur:
- Has been conceived and designed in the development of a creative project with its own discourse and it is frequently endorsed by the use of the name of its creator as trademark. In this way, a jewel d’auteur is a piece of jewelry ‘with full name’.
- Has been manufactured with handmade or semi-handmade processes, never mass-produced, with an emphasis on unique pieces and short series.
- Is normally made of precious metals and gems. Nonetheless, this does not imply the complete exclusion of other materials. The key is that the concept of jewelry d’auteur is synonymous with utmost quality, in terms of its materials and finishes as well as its usability.
We are aware that the traditional jewelry industry hardly gives space for this kind of proposals, while in the world of contemporary jewelry it is rarely welcome either; the latter considers Jewels d’Auteur too classical, the former too experimental. Nevertheless, we are convinced that there is a place for Jewelry d’Auteur and therefore it is time for us to vindicate ourselves.
Jewelry d’Auteur matters
We have three reasons to make this statement:
- We believe in the relevance or our personal discourse and we are not willing to attach strings to our creativity.
- We believe in the beauty of singularity and we are not willing to give up on craftmanship.
- We believe in the importance of quality, both of materials and finishes, and we refuse to give up on the pursuit of perfection.
We, like all the members of the association, create Jewelry d’Auteur by choice. The important thing is not if we are 10, 100 or 1000 people, but what really matters is the very thing that binds us: we take pride in creating fine jewels with a proper name.