It seems like only yesterday when we started Decimononic as experimental project, but more than three years have gone since August 2010. Therefore, this seems a good moment to look back and set everything in order to beging working in new directions.
This is a very brief blog post to announce that all the Steampunk-inspired fine jewelry pieces we have created during this time have been regrouped in a singular collection: the Machinarium Collection.
We are very happy to share with you this simple video that offers a panoramic view of the Machinarium Collection, hope you like it!
More exciting news very soon!
On 1st June we published a blog post dedicated to the Aurea Mediocritas series of Juan Manuel Molleví, an astonishing gallery of small invertebrates transformed into vulgar utensils with a baroque-Steampunk feeling.
This blog post included a micro-interview with Juan Manuel, who mentioned a new project: Bestiario de Aves.
– You have recently presented a new line of work influenced by this retrofuturism too, combining a modern look with rococo and Steampunk aesthetics. What should we expect from it?
– This new line, which I have named Bestiario de Aves, I think it has much to offer yet, I just fell in love when I saw the rapid acceptance it had as a result of working with my model Javier Gomez, so I plan to continue exploiting it. Following this “story” of the birds, which for the moment it is formed by a self portrait and Javier, I want to make it grow with a new addition, this time a girl, possibly trapped in a cage playing with some birds. Everything will follow a very trendy and elegant style mixed with classic Rococo voluptuousness.
We could not help but think that Decimononic’s jewelry would suit like a glove this new line of work… and you can judge by yourself today: this new image of the Bestiario de Aves gallery features our jewelry. We hope you like it as much as we do!
We have previously spoken about the inspiration of our Shikra Pendant, but we have not shared with you its manufacturing process.
Did you know that an apparently simple result like this requires some ‘geometrical magic’? The reason is that setting a watch movement like this one is not so easy as it could seem because it is asymmetric: due to its wider base (the watch face), a mere parallel side is not useful to achieve a perfect adjustment.
This means that we have to take into account its inclination, following the same procedure used to create crown and collet settings. Let’s sum it up:
- Draw an accurate side view of the watch using real measurements in a piece of paper.
- Extend the sides to meet, set a compass centered in the meeting point and draw an arc in the superior and inferior sides of the watch. That will be a cone pattern.
- Cut the cone pattern in paper and glue it on a sterling silver sheet. Cut the pattern in silver with a jeweler’s saw.
- Bend the cone side, close it and solder it.
- True up the cone on a mandrel to give it its final shape.
The result of following these steps carefully is a bezel that can be exactly adjusted to get the following result:
It is hard to believe that a whole year has gone by, as it seems like only yesterday when we presented our Tempus Fugit Collection of artisan sterling silver cufflinks with vintage watch movements. This collection offered three different models taking three classical forms as point of departure: Alpha (round), Beta (rectangular) and Gamma (romboid).
Inspired by its success, we have decided to develop it with new elements: rings and earrings (yes, this Steampunk jewelry collection on steroids!). We wanted to keep the same spirit, looking for:
- Uncompromising quality: artisan sterling silver jewelry made using traditional silversmith techniques.
- Minimalistic and timeless design, perfect for both everyday use and to stand out in any special occasion.
- Steampunk inspiration with a touch of the past, retrieving these delightful silver-colored vintage watch movements.
Feel free to have a look at the complete Tempus Fugit Collection and tell us what you think about the result. Would you like to see any other kind of jewelry piece added to this collection? We will be most pleased to hear from you!
We have a feeling that finding fine jewelry inspired by Steampunk is not very easy and it comes to even worst when we think of fine jewelry for men. This idea has been confirmed by many of our interviewees and has motivated us to create more and more jewelry pieces for men: our Tempus Fugit cufflinks collection or the Air Privateer ring, just to name a couple of examples. Should the increasing demand for Steampunk fine jewelry for men be satisfied? We do think so.
We were not content with our portfolio of jewelry for men and wanted to move one step forward; we wanted to bring you the most astonishing Steampunk inspired jewelry for men that you have ever seen. We are most pleased to share with you the result of our efforts to date: belonging to our Air Pirates! collection, a new milestone aimed to mark a turning point: the Sky Captain Series.
As you can see in the image above, this series includes matching cufflinks, tie clip and lapel pin. All these jewelry pieces have been made of sterling silver and using traditional silversmithing techniques in order to ensure superior quality and durability for a lifetime use. True ‘Steampunk fine jewelry’.