Ladies and Gentlemen, the winners of the Steampunk Chronicle Reader’s Choice Awards 2013 were announced on 27th April, as foreseen. Unfortunately our Sky Captain Series set of Steampunk-inspired jewelry for men was not awarded Best Non-goggle Accessory. However, this result does not stain the fact that our creation was considered relevant enough to be nominated and believe me when I say that we really value this. Naturally we would like to congratulate the winners and our fellow nominees, and express our gratitude to the Steampunk Chronicle team once more.
We all have to cope with winning and losing. We feel very proud for this nomination and, with all we have received and learned, it is time to move forward and think about the next milestone: Steampunk Chronicle Reader’s Choice Awards 2014!
This said, a few reflections due to the contest.
1.- In favor of a Best Steampunk Jeweler category
I have just searched in Google ‘Steampunk jewelry’ and this search engine offers 13,100,000 results, against 2,000,000 results for ‘Steampunk goggles’ or 14,500,000 results for ‘Steampunk fashion’. This makes me think that, as I have previously stated, the inclussion of a ‘Best Steampunk jeweler’ category in the coming Steampunk Chronicle Reader’s Choice Awards would make sense. Will the Steampunk Chronicle team pick the glove up? Time will tell, but I do hope so.
2.- Towards a widest international scope
I have the impression that there were not many nominees from ouside the USA, and even less from non-anglosaxon countries. Considering that anyone can propose a candidature, it seems quite strange to me… why does this happen? Is the North-American Steampunk community not interested in finding out what happens abroad and/or viceversa? Considering the natural limitations of the Steampunk Chronicle (language, resources, etc.), is there a lack of international reach? If this were to be true, how could the Awards expand their reach?
3.- Desiderability of International Steampunk Awards
A global summnoning to launch international Steampunk awards with the support of the Steampunk community worldwide would be amazing. A kind of ‘Steampunk Olympic Games’? Something like that, yep. This mereley expresses a desire, I know, and it is a very ambitious approach… but is this impossible? I do not think so. Would it be easy? Absolutely not.
4.- National Steampunk Awards?
On the opposite, and considering that I am Spanish, I can’t help but think about the Steampunk scene of my own country. What would happen if someone had the idea to announce Spanish Steampunk Awards? Have you heard about any other ‘National Steampunk Awards’?
5.- Some international artists I would like to see nominated
Last but no least, and directly related to the second point, I cannot deny that there are a lot of outstanding international creators and leaders of thought that I would like to see nominated the next Chronicle Reader’s Choice Awards. Just to name some of them:
- Best Photographer? One of my favourite photographers, Martin ‘Soulstealer’, was nominated this year and that is great… but I do not understand how it is possible that Rebeca Saray, for example, has not been nominated yet.
- Best Artist/Illustrator? Just to suggest one talented international artist, let’s say Sam Van Olffen.
- Best Clothing Designer? I cannot wait to see El Costurero Real acknowledged with a well-earned nomination.
- Best Solo Musician? What about Jordan Reyne, for example?
- Best Maker – Individual? Rafa Maya from Diarment Creations!
- Best Mod – Weaponry? Dr. Pek’s Skool would be a sensible choice.
- Best themed cafe or bar? Ithilien.
This is just a brief list I have written on the go. My conclussion? I will have to submit them as candidates to be nominated next year… and I do hope that someone submits Decimononic to become nominee again, this time for a brand new ‘Best Steampunk jeweler’ category 😀
It is your turn now. Both Irene and I would love to hear your thoughts about this, feel free to leave a comment!
Latest posts by JF Alfaya (see all)
- Amazing Steampunk-inspired fine jewelers # Steampunk Hands Around the World 2017 - 06/02/2017
- Back to the circular economy idea: The Earth Circle - 03/02/2017
- Singular Events: Steam Garden 8 - 21/02/2016