1.- What’s Decimononic?
Decimononic was born in 2010 as a creative project. Our members believe in the beauty of craftwork, the power of experimentation and the value of singularity. Our main sources of inspiration are artistic and literary movements of late 19th and early 20th centuries: Symbolism and Decadentism, Art Nouveau and Art Decó, the darkest side of the Victorian era and its corresponding retrofuturisms… making the old new and the new old.
At present we focus our efforts in the design and manufacture of unique creations, mainly handcrafted fine jewelry and accessories.
2.- Who are involved in this?
All this began as a two-headed initiative:
Irene LOPEZ has always been interested in several handicrafts. She started an initiatory journey to the world of jewelry in 2010, in which she has improved her skills as self-educated designer and her technical knowledge by the hand of master jewelers like Alejandro Allocco or Brian Eburah.
Jose Francisco ALFAYA has a professional professional career in the field of SME management, focusing on the jewelry industry since 2010. He is a self-taught photographer and designer, including computer-aided jewelry design techniques.
3.- Vision, Mission and values
- We have a Vision, aimed to give shape to our future: pioneering singularity.
- We have a Mission, our reason for being: Empowering you through avantgarde fine jewels conceived as ‘Reminders of Singularity’.
- We have Values, our principles: Authenticity and Exclusivity, Creativity, Social Responsibility.
If you want to learn more about the purpose of Decimononic, do not miss the section entitled The #5 Commandments of Singularity.
4.- Our Motto: True Singularity
Where does it come from? Just have a look at the following definition drawn from Oxford Dictionaries:
o 1 Grammar (of a word or form ) denoting or referring to just one person or thing
+ single; unique:she always thought of herself as singular, as his only daughter
o 2 exceptionally good or great; remarkable:he had the singular good fortune not to die in the trenches
+ strange or eccentric in some respect:no explanation accompanied this rather singular statement
We do think that a statement like “True Singularity” summarizes our commitments.
5.- What does ‘Decimononic’ mean?
Our name refers to the Spanish word ‘Decimonónico’ (adjectival form of the ordinal number ‘decimonono’, the 19th). ‘Decimonónico’ means that something is related to the 19th century and, considering that this period is one of our main sources of inspiration, we considered ‘Decimononic’ to be very evocative. We discovered later that ‘Decimonónico’ is translated into Catalonian language as ‘Decimononic’, with the same meaning as in Spanish.
6.- Decimononic Commitments
What we deliver:
- Exclusivity, due to “the hand-made factor”, the use of our own original designs and recycled stuff.
- Quality. Innovative designs, first-class raw materials and durability. We pursue life-lasting jewels that can become a legacy.
- Social Responsibility.
7.- Professional Silversmithing
Fine jewelry for real:
8.1.- Individual Exhibitions
- 2012, December – 2013, February | Machinarium Collection | Laura Márquez Gallery | Madrid, Spain
8.2.- Collective Exhibitions
- 2019, March – 2019, June | Museum of the Jewelry Business Park of Cordoba | ‘Women in History’ | Córdoba, Spain
- 2015, July | Provincial Museum of Pontevedra | ‘Ten Years of Signature Jewelry in the Atlantic’ | Pontevedra, Spain
- 2015, June – 2015, September | Museo Nacional de Artes Decorativas (National Museum of Decorative Arts) | ’20 Años de Joya de Autor en España’ (’20 Years of Designer Jewelry in Spain’) | Madrid, Spain
- 2014, September | IFEMA (Madrid Joya 2014) | ‘Preview of the Metropolis Collection by Decimononic at Madrid Joya 2014’ | Madrid, Spain
- 2013, June – 2013, September | Oshkosh Public Museum | ‘Steampunk: Gadgets*Art*Costumes’ | Oshkosh (WI), USA
- 2012, November – 2013, May | MIBA (‘Museu d’Idees i Invents de Barcelona’) | ‘Steampunk: Futures that never were’ | Barcelona, Spain
- 2015 | Concurso de Diseño de Joya de Autor AJA – 2015: El Mar (Design Contest of Designer Jewelry AJA – 2015: The Sea) | Winner.
- 2014 | Steampunk Chronicle Reader’s Choice Awards | Nominee: Best Steampunk Jeweler under the Crafting category.
- 2013 | Steampunk Chronicle Reader’s Choice Awards | Nominee: Sky Captain Series as Best Non-goggle Accessory under the Crafting category.
- 2018, August | ‘Rías Baixas’ Solidary Catwalk at La Toja Casino | Pontevedra, Spain